As the weather gets cooler, we enjoy our freedom from pests such as mosquitos and bees. Sadly, not all pests leave us alone during the winter months. Mice, rats, raccoons, cockroaches, termites, and spiders become the annoyances of the winter.
House mice are commonly found in dark, secluded areas such as a basement or attic and can cause serious damage by chewing through drywall and wires. When mice chew through wires, it can spark and cause an electrical fire. Other damages caused by these mice are not as obvious as an electrical fire. Mice are not the cleanest animals; they have been known to spread diseases. If they are inside your home, it’s possible for them to contaminate your food with these diseases.
Rats are similar to the house mouse. They are also found in undisturbed materials/areas. Rats are sources of diseases as well – like mice, rats can contaminate food inside your home. The main difference between mice and rats, is rats are known to eat through almost anything. This includes plastic or lead pipes.
- Seal all cracks and holes, no matter how small, on the outside of the house with caulk and steel wool.
- Mice hide in clutter – keep areas clean and boxes off the floor.
- Routinely check for signs of mice – droppings, bite marks and damaged food.
- Eliminate sources of moisture in crawl spaces and basements.
Raccoons, squirrels and possums are typically found hiding out in attics. Removing these pests is not easy, or safe – it is best to call a professional to take care of the problem. Racoons enter the house through attics or chimneys while squirrels and possums use various methods to gain access to a house. Gaps, cracks, unscreened vents, and occasionally through the roof/chimney.
- Keep trash and recycling bins covered and away from the house. Consider investing in animal-proof lids.
- Examine the outside of your house for broken vent covers, cracks, holes, loose siding or shingles. Repair as soon as possible.
- Install mesh caps over the chimney and other exposed openings.
- Keep tree branches trimmed so they are not against the house
Cockroaches, termites and spiders are pests that exist all year. You can only do so much to prevent these pests from affecting your home. A pest control specialist can treat your home for these pests, but steps need to be taken by you, the home owner, as well.
- Keep bushes and shrubs away from the house/roof.
- Keep counters and floors clean.
- Vacuum and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Have a specialist perform regular inspections and prevention services.
If you believe your house has a pest problem, or you want a routine inspection/prevention service, call May Exterminating 910-455-5888 and one of our trained technicians will be happy to assist you.