Did you know decluttering is an important measure for pest control? Pests are attracted to clutter because gives them places to hide and shelter. Clutter can also hide pest infestations, keeping them undetected for months while the insect population grows.
Keeping your home organized and clutter free is a great way to deter pests from moving in and make it easier to quickly identify a pest problem should one arise. It’s best to keep the whole house decluttered, but pay special attention to areas where pests are more likely to enter or seek food, like bathrooms, pantries, garages, attics, and entryways.
Here are tips to organize your home to make it harder for pests to move in and stay.
- Clear out the whole space (e.g. cabinet or closet) before organizing to remove any residues or debris. Sweep and vacuum. This also gives you a chance to inspect the area and verify that there are no existing infestations or place traps where they may be needed.
- Store food in airtight containers. Instead of leaving opened food in its original packaging, use sealable plastic bags, mason jars, plastic tubs or other airtight containers. If you want to keep the original packaging, for things like cereal or pancake mix, pour the contents into a sealable bag and place the bag inside the original packaging. Save the instructions and nutrition facts, and keep pests from infesting your food.
- Use shelving and hanging storage when possible. Instead of leaving all of your sports equipment or tools on the floor, clear up that space with pegboards, bike racks, and shelving. Professional organizers recommend you “think vertically” and keep clutter off the floor.
- Keep all garbage outside. Take trash and recycling out often.
- Check expiration dates and toss old or rotten food. Not only does rotting food attract pests, but clearing out your fridge and pantry frequently will reduce clutter. Try rotating your products and keep older items at the front for easier access and to help ensure you to use them first!
- Don’t overcrowd under-sink spaces. Pests are drawn to moisture, so under-sink cabinets are hotspots. Monitor the pipes for leaks and use baskets, bins, racks, and shelves to keep these cabinet areas dry and pest free. Consider using Damp-Rid to minimize moisture even more.
Looking for more organization tips? Check out our ultimate guide to organization and decluttering!