Roaches are one of those pests that gives almost everyone the heebie jeebies. We do not want them in our homes. If you have ever had a roach problem, you know how unnerving it can be. They show up out of nowhere and make us feel the safety of our homes has been violated. Thankfully, there are a few things we can do to keep these creepy critters out of the house preserving our ability to relax and fully enjoy our time at home.
What Attracts Cockroaches to Homes?
To keep roaches out, we must know what draws them into our homes in the first place. They head indoors in search of food, water, and shelter. They are also drawn inside if conditions outside become uncomfortable like after large amounts of rain or very hot weather. Once inside, they are especially attracted to moisture; therefore, they are often found in laundry rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens.
How Do They Get In?
Cockroaches will literally walk through the front door like an unwelcome guest. They are very fast and can sneak in with you unnoticed as you go in and out of your home. Even if you’re not opening the door for them, roaches have other ways of getting inside. They frequently enter homes through windows, cracks/crevices, and under doors, including garage doors.
How Do You Keep Them Out?
The key to keeping roaches out of your house is to remove temptations and block their path.
The most important area to focus on is the kitchen because it supplies both moisture and food.
- Do not leave food or dirty dishes out overnight – roaches are nocturnal, so dirty dishes left in the sink or on the counter are like a buffet for them.
- Store food in sealed containers – roaches will try to get into your pantry items if they are not stored in airtight containers.
- Take out your trash often and keep garbage cans clean – residue on indoor and outdoor garbage cans will attract pests just as well as the trash inside them.
- Quickly vacuum/sweep kitchen and dining room floors each night – crumbs from cooking and enjoying our daily meals are tiny to us but a bountiful food source for roaches
- Wipe down counters – a quick wipe down of counters each night will get up the crumbs and food splatter that roaches love
Getting into a quick nighttime cleaning routine can give you the benefit of preventing pests all year long with the added joy of waking up to a clean kitchen.
Make it as difficult as possible for cockroaches to enter your home.
- Use spray foam to seal gaps around pipes – these gaps are found under sinks and in laundry rooms
- Use caulk to seal cracks/crevices in walls and foundations – roaches can access your home through very small cracks so it’s important to check for these vulnerabilities regularly
- Use weather-stripping to seal gaps under doors and windows – this will keep cockroaches from being able to sneak in under those gaps and will also help prevent drafts.
The best way to keep cockroaches out is by having a knowledgeable pest control company examine and make suggestions for your specific property. This is also the best way to rid your home of an existing roach problem. If you have any questions or think you might have a roach problem, our team can help you find a solution.